Thursday, November 27, 2008

On August 28, 2008

I got a nice letter from Iowa Gov. Chet Culver the other day. While he wrote kind words of thanks for some photos I sent to him, his letter was a fine reminder for me to mention in this medium the night I was there to watch – and photograph – Barack Obama accept his party’s nomination. Cliché to say, but it was an historic moment and one I will always remember for reasons one might not have thought.

I was present at Invesco Field that afternoon on a commission to produce a corporate marketing piece for a sponsor at the Democratic National Convention.



It began as a rather unassuming night for me. As the sun set, when Sheryl Crow came and went, the rumors that The Boss would show finally dissipated and Stevie hosted us to his melodic sway, I settled in with the Iowa delegation of which Culver and his wife were a part.



By the time Barack Obama walked out onto the stage I became aware I was to play witness to history and that my position was quite unique among the Iowa delegates (who had adopted me at that point) along with 75,000 democrats swept up in a wave of patriotic love. And then there was me, my bald head shining bright to the aerial cam that kept sweeping over the crowd.

People often say time stands still in moments like those and there isn’t any other way to put it. His speech was as fast as a blink. I am always sure to back away from my camera’s eyepiece; to see with my own eyes and hear not just the frames increment but to take in a moment with all its incredibility.



And this time I heard not so much the powerful assurances of a destined leader nor saw just the resolute intent on his face. I heard the chorus of the masses celebrating change in a new era of togetherness. I saw human diversity united. I saw disparate voices singing the same song. I understood that the right leadership can in fact do good to reduce the barriers of progress in our complex world and remind everybody that sometimes a milestone as simple as a racial barrier shattered can serve to remind everybody that we are in fact all working for the same thing.

Just a little goodness.



And for the millions and millions that saw that moment, all was washed away but for the simple congratulations to one man for making it to the top. I’m so proud of humanity.

For a brief evening, there was hope in the world.

No comments: